Monday, July 23, 2007

Happy Birthday Joe!


A couple different things struck me yesterday. I'll start off with Joe. Joe is a guy we've known for a while now. I'd guess Joe is about in his his late 40s/early 50s? I'm not real sure, but that'd be my guess. When we met Joe, he was living in a local shelter. Now? He's got his own place. There's not much to it, but it's his own place. We somehow helped Joe get a bed or a mattress and a dresser. The thing about Joe is he was a guy who absolutely could not hack living in the shelter. I can't blame him. I've seen the shelters, and for all the good they provide, they simply aren't a place that I could call home for any extended periods of time. So when we met Joe, he was living in the Sienna Francis House and trying to get a place of his own. He told me his story, and the details aren't really that important in the overall scheme of things. He's not originally from this area. I think he has foster parents in Grand Island, Nebraska. Now that in itself is a strange thing if you think about it. "Grand" Island? In the middle of Nebraska? So early on, we (God!) helped a guy get back to Seattle. I blogged about it. It was an interesting deal. Guy was stranded here, needed help getting home, and somehow, God provided. As He always does. Somewhat similar to last week. A couple was stranded here, needed to get back to San Francisco, and once again, God provided. As He always does. So Joe found out about our "travel agency" and asked if we couldn't get him a round trip ticket to Grand Island to "visit" his foster mother. She passed away, I think, sometime last year. Joe never got the opportunity to go and pay his last respects. As hard as it was, we had to break the news to Joe that we just don't have that kind of money lying around. In fact we had to tell Joe that we have no money lying around. So we weren't able to help him out there. I wish we could have and maybe someday, we'll still be able to. In His time.

So back to Joe and his needs. Joe's a guy that kind of lurks. By that, I mean as we are doing our thing on Sunday, doing this thing we call church, Joe is never far out of sight. He's always hanging around, and that's a good thing. It's always good to see Joe. So as the many provisions that we are blessed with come pouring out of the van on any given Sunday, Joe is there, checking it out. What's it going to be today? What have you people brought today? What Joe really seems to like are the grilled Paninis from Panera. We usually have a dozen or two of those at the end of the day and hand them out to whoever is lingering. Panera gives them to us on Saturday night, and they seem to be a nice snack for later on a Sunday afternoon. Or a Sunday meal, depending on your perspective. So that's one of the things that seems to keep Joe hanging around on a Sunday. It's funny, because usually around the end of the month, he calls Robin and asks for a pantry from Heart Ministry. I don't think he knows where it comes from, but he asks for one anyway. This month? He asked for one early. Called us last week and said he had no food left. What happened? How did he run out of food so early in the month? I'm not totally sure, but I think Joe gets by on Social Security and some other type of general assistance. But this month? Things got scarce early. So Robin picked up a bag of groceries at Heart, and I delivered them that day after work. The next day I get a call from Joe telling me we forgot his bread. You ever been to the grocery store, pay for your stuff, get home and realize that you either forgot something, or they didn't bag it for you? I guess that must have been what Joe felt like. Now this was probably Wednesday of last week. He has plenty of other stuff, but he was almost out of bread. The strange thing about his conversation with me? It was almost like we"owed" him a loaf of bread. And you know what? We probably did. We didn't forget. I just think it happened the way it happened. So I told him to make what he had last, and we'd get him all the bread he could stand on Sunday. The one thing I know these guys can get in droves is bread. Panera "Doughnations" are in abundance to the shelters always. We get ours every Saturday night. But that leaves six other nights, and many other stores. When we are finished with our church activities every Sunday, I take the remainder of our Saturday Panera Doughnation to the Francis House for their kitchen. Yesterday, as Christian and I were loading it out of the car on the back dock, I noticed a table set up with a tent. On the table? Loads of bread and stuff. I asked the fellow if they were having some sort of outing or something? Nope. That's for whoever comes by and needs a little bread. So I know these guys can get bread.

As I chatted in the line with Joe yesterday, that was one of his concerns. Me? I'm worried about the mortgage payment. Joe? Needs a loaf of bread. Perspective man! Perspective. So we bring a crate of sliced bread with us every week. Probably ten loafs or so. I told Joe whatever was left was his. He was already eyeing it. But as we talked, I tried to pry a little to see if he was drinking. How did he run out of food so early this month? Was he using his food stamps for brewskis? He said no. But didn't go into much detail. And I'm not his dad, so I didn't push it. But he told me he was going to get plastered on his birthday. Plastered. Coming from where I come from, I don't like to hear that about a guy. I ask him why? "Why not", he says. It's my birthday? Gonna get plastered. So I ask him what day is your birthday big Joe? August 8th. Cool. Nick's birthday is the 10th and Robin's is the 13th. We're going to have a birthday party right here on this corner. So Joe, when was the last time you had a birthday cake on your birthday? 1997. Did I hear that right? 1997? 10 years ago you had your last birthday cake? Why? Because you were homeless for a period of time? A simple thing like a birthday cake? 1997??!! Well, I've got to tell you. That's about to change Joe. I can't help you in the "getting plastered" department. In fact, I hope you re-think that one. But this year, you are going to get a birthday cake. You see, I read a book recently. It's called "Same Kind of Different as Me". About a homeless fellow and a couple who befriend him. In the book, the couple begins serving at the local homeless shelter, and they come up with the idea of doing a monthly birthday celebration for the homeless folks at the shelter. So it's not an original idea, but we're going to steal it and run with it. August 12th will be our first birthday celebration in the park. Anyone who has a birthday in the month of August will be honored. I need to find a great person to donate a big old sheet cake to our brothers and sisters who meet with us in our church. Anybody willing to make a cake for about 150? :) Anyone?

One other thing. There are people that show up every week late. We start serving pretty promptly at noon. That's always been our thing. Consistently at noon. It's probably one of the few things lots of these folks can be sure of. We've not missed a week in almost 9 months. God is so good and he provides everything we need every week. We may not have enough deodorant one week, and we usually don't, or we may not have foot powder or toothpaste, but we always have enough food. Always. If they get there at noon. Now the numbers have been growing. But so have the numbers of people helping out. Funny how He works that way. Robin was more than a little concerned yesterday, because she did not have a hand in the main course. Ham and beans over cornbread. Now she made lots of cornbread. But our friend Clark said he'd do the entire bucket o' ham and beans. Ended up making about 200 servings! You da man Clark! So early yesterday morning, ol' Pretty Eyes was a bit concerned. Now this is the same person who put me and my faith in my place last week about our friends from San Francisco. She knew God would provide a way for them to get home. And He did. I was a little short in the faith department last week. It's hard. But it shouldn't be. He continually shows us that He's got us covered. Constantly. So when she voiced her concern over the whole food situation yesterday, I had to smile. Remember Who is in charge Pretty Eyes! It ain't us. :) Turns out Clark made just enough. That's how it normally turns out. We make it. God makes it last. Now those that show up late? It breaks my heart, because occasionally we have to tell people that we have no food. I mean, if we start serving at noon, and there are around 150 people breaking bread, and some of them (lots of them actually) go through multiple times, then we'll run out eventually. So when someone shows up at 1:00 and we have nothing left, we really try to emphasize the noon start time. Yesterday, we had a guy show up late and he wasn't happy that we had no food for him. Now we had cornbread, bread, water, soda and stuff like that, but no main course. So he was angry and walked off mad. Then he showed up at the van and asked for the whole box of about 100 razors. I laughed thinking he was joking. Nope. He was serious. Wanted them all. Again, he left angry when I wouldn't give them all to him. Strange. Then, as we were leaving, I saw him approach Robin for a ride to the Open Door Mission. Well, between the two of us, I had all the kids in my car, and she had no seats in the van because we take them all out to haul everything down on Sundays. And the mission has a shuttle van that shuttles people back and forth several times a day. All he had to do was wait for the van. Could we have been a little more accommodating? Sure. Should we have been? Probably. But again, he left angry. Said he thought we were supposed to be Christians. Had some not so nice words for us. Now understand, this fellow had been drinking, pretty heavily by the looks of it, and I'm not sure what he was really after. In retrospect, we probably should have made it work and gave him a ride. But I just didn't feel like it was safe. I surely wasn't going to let Robin give him a ride. I don't know...probably missed an opportunity there. Hope not. So, we live and learn. But the cool thing about the whole incident? There was a guy who witnessed the whole thing. And I just met him for the first time yesterday. His name is Jeff. Very nice younger fellow. He was sitting on a wall reading a book and saw the whole thing as it transpired. And you know what he said? He said he was sorry for that guy's actions. He, who did nothing, was sorry for the other guy's actions. I told him no worries. But he said, here you guys go out of your way to try and help, and then you get treated like that. Hey, no worries Jeff. It happens. Thanks though. Honestly, its guys like "angry man" who really will keep us coming back. Its guys like Jeff who keep us grounded. Jeff took the blame for the other guy. Unnecessarily. Sounds like Someone else we know. But he did. We could have left with a bad taste, but Jeff made it alright. Thanks for the kind words Jeff. Thanks for taking one on the chin for the team.

And, Joe? Joe got his bread. Needs his daily bread. How do we go about getting Joe his daily bread? How do we ensure that Joe's needs are being met? And not just his physical needs. I'm not totally sure "we" can do that. But "we" can love him. That's for sure. And we can continue to help provide whatever we can provide, with God's grace. His overflowing and most abundant grace. And maybe a birthday cake. Because, lets face it, no matter what anyone says, a simple birthday cake is a great way to celebrate being together and a great excuse to share a little fellowship. As if we need an excuse.

Peace and have a great and blessed week.

..."it matters to that one"... :)

No comments: