Monday, July 16, 2007

God Gives Discounts?


Another hot one for our activities yesterday. However, the trees in the park provide an uncanny cool. It is amazing to me and I thank God every Sunday that we meet there. It can be 97 degrees, but under the shade of His trees, it feels like a 20 degree difference. And give us a breeze and it is plain old comfortable. I have to tell you, the line of folks that gather on that corner is starting to scare me! It seems to get longer every Sunday. But the cool thing about that is that a great friend of ours told us that as God sends more people, He'll take care of the growth on our side. I think Robin and I counted between 15 and 20 people who gave up a couple of hours of their Sunday to come volunteer and help out. I don't think any of them regret it. It is really unbelievable that we meet so many more people each and every Sunday. God sends them. He feeds them. It's pretty simple. And we get many chances to share the love of Christ with them. But we also get to develop and cultivate the relationships a little deeper each and every time. As my friend Bob said once, you have to have a relationship first, or else they might write you off as a religious nut or something.

We had friends come down for the first time Sunday to help us out. They, like most everyone that has taken time out of their busy schedules to share with us, commented how nice everyone was and how respectful and thankful they were. Don't think its all love and happiness in a meadow of flowers. I'm not trying to present it in that way. There are some serious complexities, obviously. But for a couple of hours each Sunday, we get to see maybe a side of these guys that lots of people miss out on. I harp on the fact that they are no different than any of us, sans their obvious and apparent issues, but they really aren't any different. As soon as I go and get self righteous about my situation, I am immediately brought back to reality by some of the guys and gals we meet. You just never know the stories that got these folks to the point of homelessness. Some simply need a nudge back in the right direction and a prayer.

Yesterday, as I was glad handing and schmoozing through the line, as I'm so apt to do every week, I met Christopher and Jennifer. Along with their ShihTzu/Maltese pup, Elvis Presley. Go figure. Seems through a series of misfortune and maybe bad choices, they ended up here in Omaha. San Francisco is home. So, Omaha? And via Madison, Wisconsin? Listen, I know it sounds crazy. The story goes something like this. They piled into a van from San Francisco and headed to Jennifer's hometown of Madison. It was going to be a couple of days in Madison, and frankly a little party was involved. But I guess it was a vacation of sorts. So they get to Madison, things get crossed up at the party, he gives her his wallet, she puts it in her purse, the purse is left in the van and the next thing they know? They are stranded in Madison with no way of knowing where their stuff is? Somehow, their travel partners disappear and they are left in Wisconsin? My skeptical nature comes into play here big time. So when I meet them on our very own corner yesterday, I get the story. A pastor in Madison helps them get to Omaha, but can't afford to get them any further. I tell them to get something to eat and I'll try to brainstorm something in my feeble noggin'. They hang around. I try to carry out our normal activities, not knowing what in the heck I'm going to do to help these guys out. Two bus tickets to San Francisco without a 7 day advance? $340 bucks. That's a boat load of money. We don't have it. So what? Christopher tells me they landed in Omaha on Saturday and "slept" in the park the night before. Not much sleeping I guess? Oh and did I mention that Jennifer is 4 months pregnant? So, he tells me that they need to get back by Wednesday or he will lose his job. Now keep in mind, my skeptical nature is working me overtime. I'd just as soon not have to deal with this. I woke up Sunday with a nasty little summer cold, so my head was a little clouded, to put it mildly. Dealing with my own issues, so to speak. Pretty trivial on my part. But what if he's telling the truth? What if? Apparently, they've already contacted one of the shelters and they tell them they might be able to help Monday morning. But what if he's telling the truth? What if the shelter can't help them? What if they don't get back by Wednesday and he loses his job? What if he loses his job as a ship welder in San Francisco and in turn loses his place and becomes homeless? What if? Lots of what ifs there...

So as we wind up our activities, he tells me they just need a place to stay for the night and he can get his bearings so that he can start fresh Monday morning. I start working the phones. Trying to find a deal for them. Discount motels, hotels, whatever. There aren't many opportunities for that in downtown Omaha. The Embassy Suites didn't even make the cut. Too expensive for our fledgling budget, which is really non-existent. :) So, I call local Catholic parishes, shelters, whatever I could think of. No go. Nobody answers, no vacancies, no rooms, etc. Finally, I call the Quality Inn in Council Bluffs, Iowa. A stones throw from our corner, across the Missouri River. I get a great lady by the name of Ladonna. She is a Godsend. Stern, but very willing to help. I explain the situation and she says she'll give me the $90 dollar room for $35! Done. A full breakfast buffet and a shuttle service the next morning. Me and my boy Nick pile them into the car and head over to get them their room for the night. The next morning they can take the shuttle over to the shelter and see if Patti at the shelter can help them out. So we drop them off, and as Nick and I are heading home, we begin talking about the events that have transpired. Nick in all his childlike wisdom make yet another unbelievable observation. "Dad", he says, "God gives discounts"! I chuckle to myself and have to agree with Nick. He does indeed give discounts and second chances. I'm living proof.

So the story gets better. Longer of course because I'm rambling, but stick with me. It gets better. Robin get's home ahead of us and sends an email out to some people who have helped us in the past. "Emergency Help Needed". She explains the situation. Me? I'm thinking that we've done our part. My faith was pretty weak. I tried to pacify the situation by getting them a room for the night and "hoping" God would take care of them on Monday. Shortly after Robin sends out the email, she gets a response from her dad. If we haven't gotten this taken care of locally, he'd be willing to help out. From Boise, Idaho. She prayed that if it was God's will, that we'd be able to help Christopher, Jennifer and Elvis Presley get on the 8:45 bus to San Francisco Sunday night. That would get them home by Tuesday morning. 36 hours on a Greyhound bus? Yikes! Penance enough for bad choices? I don't know how that works? But it would get them home in time for Christopher to get to work on Wednesday. So after the email from John, it's time for us to decide to take the plunge and have faith that God will indeed provide. I mean he already has, but we didn't want her dad to have to shoulder the entire amount. He graciously offered, but we were hoping for others to chip in. I'm ashamed to admit that my faith wasn't as strong as I'd like it to have been. Ashamed. But not old Pretty Eyes. Her faith was strong. When we had confirmation (like we needed it...I mean was there any doubt that God would cover this?), we called the hotel and told Christopher to pack up and I'd be on my way shortly.

I picked them up around 7:30 to make the 8:45. It was a short trip to the bus station, but we chatted a little more. We talked about their kids, our kids, about the blessing that had been laid upon them and how grateful they were. Look, it's easy to be grateful when you are desperate and Someone (God) comes to your rescue. Easy. Words of gratefulness come flowing pretty easy. The tickets were purchased, thanks were given, hugs were shared and I just prayed that God would get them back safely. I have to tell you that I prayed for clarity on the way to pick them up and it came immediately. Just do it. Immediately. I was so doubtful earlier and Robin was so faithful. So as I left the bus station, my mind is racing with thoughts? Will we ever hear the end of the story? What happened to the "friends"? Did they get home in time? He promised to send some money back. I told him to please simply call me and let me know that they made it home safely.

So here's the thing. Ultimately, these folks got the discount. God gave them the discount. While Christopher and I were standing in line to get the bus tickets, he mentioned that he didn't think they could stay in Omaha? I mean is this how people become homeless? Is it possible that people make bad choices in maybe desperate situations and end up in a place like this?? What if no one were able to help them? What if they ended up here and days became weeks and weeks became months? I know it sounds far fetched, but we've heard these exact stories. Sometimes it's just about circumstances. And maybe if we just help out unconditionally, with no strings attached, maybe we might just be able to make a difference to those folks...

By Monday morning we have several offers to help. The burden can be shared and God, as we know he always does, has come through again! Got us covered. Gave us the discount.

I leave you with the following story...we've all heard it a million times, but it fits. Lord have mercy on me and my unfaithfulness...

The Parable of the Good Samaritan
On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"
"What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?"

He answered: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

"You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live."

But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?"

In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.'

"Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?"

The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him." Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise."

Peace and have a great and blessed week.

..."it matters to that one"... :)

No comments: