Sunday, December 7, 2008

Selfless Acts and Blessings...

I was doing some reading this morning and I just happened to open to Numbers 6:22-27:

The Priestly Blessing
The LORD said to Moses, "Tell Aaron and his sons, 'This is how you are to bless the Israelites. Say to them: " ' "The LORD bless you and keep you;
the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace." '
"So they will put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them."

So according to the reference section in my Bible, a blessing was one way of asking for God’s divine favor to rest upon others. Apparently there were five parts to the ancient blessing in this verse. Stay with me here. I do have a point. The five parts conveyed hope that God would (1) bless and keep them (favor and protect); (2) make his face shine upon them (be pleased); (3) be gracious (merciful and compassionate); (4) turn his face toward them (give His approval); (5) give peace. So when we ask God to bless others or ourselves, we are essentially asking Him to do these five things. The blessing we offer will not only help the one receiving it, it will also demonstrate love, encourage others and provide a model of caring for others.

My point? I was extremely blessed today by two acts. Both of them came from children. 11 and 8. One belongs to me, the other a friend from Knoxville. Our friends were coming to visit for a few days and their young daughter decided to donate a substantial sum of money to this cause. It was substantial in my eyes. And in the eyes of and eight year old? It was a lot of money. It was enough for us to grab several pair of winter boots, lots of socks and winter hats, and various other necessities that are so important at this time of year. I was amazed that a child so young could be so caring and giving. We could all learn a lesson. I’m pretty sure God gave his approval and was pleased.

And then there was Nick. It makes me pretty proud as a father to see my kids perform a selfless act. There’s lots of that happening on Sundays on a regular basis with lots of different people down there on that corner. But when I can stop and see one of my own kids do it? Well it’s then that I can be proud before God. You see, I met a fellow named David a couple weeks ago. Older fellow. He just kind of hangs around. Today he needed boots and gloves. I just happened to have both for him. And later on, as he was getting ready to leave, he came over to the van and asked for a second pair of gloves. For his 11 year old grandson. All I had was men’s gloves. And as much as I know something is better than nothing, it still didn’t seem right to give him men’s large gloves for an 11 year old. That’s when Nick spoke up from inside the van. He says, "Dad, did he say his grandson is 11? I’m 11. He can have my gloves. You can’t give him men’s gloves for an 11 year old Dad!" Well, you’re right Nick. But something is better than nothing, right? So the Nickster whips out his gloves and hands them over. Practically brand new. Only a couple of weeks used. And he gives them to me to give to David. And says he still has his old gloves at home and he can use those. A very selfless act. A blessing to be sure. And pleasing to God? I’d guess. Compassionate? Mostly.

And as a dad, that’s one of the things I hope my kids get. That if we have something, especially if we have more than enough, that it’s a blessing to give. That we are pretty much commissioned to do so. To love others in whatever way. And if that means giving up a pair of gloves or showing up every week with a meal and whatever else, then so be it.
The great folks from St. James church were back today. Cooked the whole meal. And brought bags and bags of stuff for our friends. I am simply amazed at the people that show up to help. God just keeps sending them. We’ll definitely keep thanking Him and praising Him for all that He does. Because short of Him, none of it happens anyway. Right? Blessings for sure.

Peace and have a great and "blessed" week.

Make a difference.

…it matters to that one… :)

No comments: