Sunday, October 19, 2008

An Amazing Incarnational Opportunity? (how's that for a title?)

So I didn’t write a blog last week. I was a little under the weather. Woke up last Saturday feeling a little rough and it carried over for several days. So last Sunday was my first sick day. Unpaid. The main thing I was concerned about was having something like strep throat and bringing it down and spreading it around to our friends. Last thing they need is to have a nasty case of something like that running rampant in the shelter. We like taking stuff down to help, but strep throat really isn’t something that we want to be so free with. But a pretty cool thing happened. We decided to take only the van and not the trailer. Robin has never pulled the trailer and it’s not like she couldn’t do it, but we decided to go light last Sunday so they wouldn’t have to pick up too much slack for my sick butt. I helped Christian get the van in order and get it ready to go. And he and Robin led the charge. As they were leaving to go, I was going to mention to Christian that maybe he could lead the prayer in my absence. But I didn’t want Robin to feel as though I was micromanaging and if I’m not there and she is, she normally leads. So I didn’t say anything. When they returned from the day’s activities, Robin told me something that made me even prouder yet to be Christian’s dad. He actually took it upon himself to stand in my place and lead the brief announcements and prayer. Robin said he did a great job. Of that I have no doubt. It’s amazing to see your kids do that sort of thing. Sometimes we just do our thing as parents and we hope our kids get it. We tell them some things over and over and over, hoping that it will sink in. Other times? We have to simply do those things that God leads us to do and hope that our kids get it. He does. And I could not have been more proud as a father to know that.

So here I sit early on Sunday morning trying to get my head in the game for the day. I have to catch a flight out of town this afternoon for work, so my goal is to get out of the downtown area maybe a little early today. Not too early though. Because we have some really cool things happening. Seems the youth group at St. Vincent DePaul Catholic Church is coming back again today. They are bringing all the desserts for the meal today. More importantly, they are bringing a heart for service. They’ve been down before, as a group. And several of the young ladies in the group have been down on their own. It’s been amazing for me to watch this thing over the couple of years that we’ve been at it. We’ve seen people from all denominations, people with no faith background, and many in between. But the nice thing is we’ve seen God continue to send people to help. They might come once. They might come every week. And he’s sent us some warriors who stick it out through all sorts of weather and whatever else. But the coolest thing is He keeps sending them. I’ll never forget when we first started going down there how I used to wonder where the people and the resources would come from. Now don’t get me wrong, I always knew Who was in charge and He’s proved it countless times to this thick headed individual. I was talking to a fellow the other day who s involved with Metro Marketplace Ministry in the downtown Omaha area. We were just talking about things and he reiterated something that I’ve learned over the last few years. We simply have to show up and try not to get in the way and let Him lead. It’s what He does. When I try to do things my way? I usually end up pulling myself out of a ditch wondering where I made the wrong turn. When I get out of the way and let God lead, amazing things happen. River of Life Church is coming back down today also. Great people. And I’d guess some of the great folks from Papio Creek Church will be there. They usually show up also. I think that is also one of the cooler things that has manifested itself here. I was talking to someone yesterday and we were talking about how people get involved. It’s pretty simple. All they have to do is show up. No bureaucracy, no real rules to speak of. Just have to come down. There are some obvious logistical concerns from time to time, like making sure we have enough meals, but that is the main concern. All the rest is fair game. Especially from a relational standpoint. Our friends usually outnumber us, so the more people we can get to come down who simply want to help build relationships the better. That is the biggest need as I see it.

Here’s another great thing that’s happened just in the last week. A few weeks ago, I think I wrote about a church that came down once a month and handed out sack lunches on Sundays. St. James Untied Methodist Church is the church responsible for doing this. They have a ministry called Break the Bread and they pack a few hundred lunches once a month and deliver them to various places. We got an email from the youth director at St. James recently and they want to partner with us once a month and provide the entire meal. That is amazing. I literally pray all the time that God will continue to send resources and man does He come through. Constantly. So beginning on November 1, they will be supplying a hot meal to our friends once a month. That is way cool.

I’m going to steal something from a pastor here in town. I read this recently and it struck me as so true. It’s from a fellow by the name of Kip Mickelson and I believe it was a part of a recent sermon. "There is a Chinese proverb which says: Go to the people, live with them, love them, learn from them, start with what they know and build on what they have. This is incarnational ministry. This is what Jesus did. He was the Word who became flesh. He came to dwell among us full of grace and truth. This is the model these missionaries follow. However, it is not just for missionaries, it is a model for all of us as we live our lives in our communities. We may not be called to cross the ocean, but we may be asked to cross the street. We become "the Word made flesh" as we reach out in love, full of grace and truth." What this tells me is that when we are called to "cross the street", we need to make sure we hear and follow. Amazing things can and do happen when we do so. When we feel that urge to do something in the name of our Lord, we should probably do it. Probably not hearing voices. It’s probably the Spirit nudging us to follow through on part of the bigger picture. The Plan. Gotta hear it. Gotta do it. And when we do, look out. Because the ride can be pretty unbelievable at times. Yet so totally believable.

*** A note….

As I mentioned earlier, I wrote most of this early this morning as I have to catch a flight this afternoon. Just wanted to post a quick update. This was an amazing day. There must have been 200 or more people there today. Lots of need. But lots of others stepping up to help. River of Life Church? Check. St. Vincent DePaul Church? Check. Papio Creek Church? Check. What an amazing opportunity to help. And all it takes is a little effort, a little time and a desire to serve. I am nothing short of amazed that God has opened this opportunity. I certainly wish we’d show up and the corner would be empty. That would maybe mean that homelessness and poverty would be over. Or the food suddenly became bad! That probably ain’t happening anytime soon. So here we are. Almost two years into this thing and we get to do it every week. With all sorts of different people from all walks of life. None of it is coincidental. Of that I’m sure.

1 John 3:17-18
If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

Peace and have a great and blessed week.

Make a difference.

…it matters to that one… :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Dave, I just received the newsletter from the Siena/Francis House. I was once homeless as a result of alcoholism and have stayed in several of the shelters in Omaha, and also lived on the streets for most of one summer. A close friend, also an alcoholic, died five years ago during the Christmas season after being found unconscious in Gene Leahy Mall. I did not know of your ministry until I read the newsletter this afternoon. Words cannot express my thanks for you, and also the sorrow I feel at the continued plight of the homeless and the callousness of most "normal" folk toward them. I will keep you in my prayers always.