Sunday, May 11, 2008

Well, this week I'm a little late in getting this together. You see, my father left us this week. I was on my way, Saturday, to pick up my sister Patti in Kansas City and we were to make our way to Alabama to help care for my father, who's health was failing pretty quickly. Doctors were saying 6 months, others were saying a month or less. From my phone conversations with him, less seemed more likely. So our trip down to help care form him turned into a trip to plan a funeral. Sadness for sure. Much. So hopefully, this year and for many more, Dad will get the opportunity to grab those primo 50 yard line seats at the Auburn football games of his choosing.

So I didn't get to go downtown to see our friends this week. I did however. get a chance to chat with a few of them. As we were driving through the state of Tennessee, I get a call from Robin. About 12:45 or so. I was hoping for the call. It seems a line of people wanted to offer condolences and that was cool. I was passed around and chatted briefly with several of our friends. Wayne even offered his "consolation". :) Pretty cool. And almost to a person, they all ended with "I love you man". How cool is that? Pretty cool. Friends...

So this week I get to offer, with her permission, a glimpse of what happens on that corner, through the eyes of another...

**********
Hey Laney Family,

Dave, I'm so sorry to hear your dad passed. What a whirlwind for your whole family, I'm praying all will sort out and wind down fine. Dave, also, I'm always so grateful to have a chance to read your blog, especially on the weeks we don't make it down, it's just good to check in. We missed you today, you have big shoes to fill! We missed Gerri as well, especially when we couldn't locate things like butter for the bread! We missed you both, but I want you to know how great everyone was filling in and stepping up to the plate.

So, I wanted to take a moment and fill you in on my experience today as well as what the family shared with me. We got to the corner right at noon, we brought iced lemonade and some cherry cheesecake squares. Setting up seemed a bit chaotic, not the least because of the bounty of food, but also since taco salad was being served! When Robin was shouting from the corner step to let everyone know what was going on and to lead us in prayer I have to admit I couldn't hear very well so I missed most of what she said. 'Course, I was on the back side and she was facing the line just like she needed to do.

I'm such a bold person in many ways, however, I tend to feel very emotional and shy when I'm down there. I don't know if you know that I was homeless when I was seventeen and my folks moved away to two different states. It was a hard time, however, I came to realize I could only count on God. Over the years I've felt everything from compassion to critical of the homeless… I always cry when we say the Lord's prayer and have to hold on to my Dave, he's my rock. I run a gamut of emotions, different every time.

When it's time to start eating, the line jumps. Some of the folks in wheelchairs came through the line first, so I was helping with cups of lemonade and coffee to get them set up where'd they'd like to be. Often during the cold months when we've been down I've simply helped get a plate of food as the snow and ice prohibits the wheelchairs maneuvering about the park. My Dave was running cups of coffee and lemonade to the back of the line, Josie was helping serve dessert and Alex was manning the lemonade. Eventually an older couple came through the line, the man clearly was in pain. His left arm was in a sling and he had an IV bag and line snaking through his shirt. We got him sat down on the curb, but it was far too difficult for him to attempt eating. So, he got back up and his wife and him and I attempted to juggle their food, juice, coffee, water and sack lunch back to the truck. As we made our way through the park a young man came in and began shouting obscenities and negativities, clearly hoping to start a fight. Oh, boy, I had a moment of wanting to turn back and be with my kids, anything other than walking a block away from them! I know there was a stabbing down here just a few days ago, and I do fear if anyone has a gun, especially when racial slurs and pointing begin (It was our neighbor and local business man's son who shot that girl at the KFC in Florence just a short time ago). As I faltered walking forward I saw Robin approaching the man with her calm, gentle, kind smile. I saw my Dave, no cups in hand, simply hovering to one side a few feet away, and several of the other men who come down to help nearby. Close, ready, but not close enough to intimidate him. I felt instant peace. I just prayed as I walked away from my family. Later, my Dave said when it was happening he stepped close by to assist if Robin needed it, but realized it was probably best that this little tiny woman approach him, rather than any of the men. Alex was annoyed, Josie said one of the girls serving next to her was furious. Seems she's doing community service for punching someone. She told Jo that she isn't a mean person, but when folks start acting stupid she gets mad, and she was MAD! I just walked on with the couple and saw them to their truck. The man was exhausted, he kept forward and as I turned away he quietly said thanks and swung his good arm back behind him to give my hand a squeeze. I got my crying done before getting back to the park.

All was calm when I returned, I stood in the center where all the shouting had taken place just a short time before. Someone said to me, "I think he wants something" and pointed me to a red truck stopped next to some parked cars. I approached and he waved me forward and motioned me to open the door. He had a large box of hats and asked me to take them for the folks in the park. He explained he was deaf, he collected the hats and to bless the people with them. I asked him to join us, but he said no, just to take the hats and give them out. I don't know who he was. I thanked him. I brought the box to stand and wait to tell Robin, but she had a line of folks waiting to talk with her. Another man approached and took the box from me and asked where should he put it? I didn't know, so we set it down and various folks began sorting out the hats, stacking them up.

Back down at the food line I helped again run some coffees and lemonades to the back of the line. Coming back to the serving table I stopped for a moment to chat with a man there. He opened with "I got a job" and from there he showed me a business card for Woodland Voices. We both teared up as he began telling me about his week. Earlier this week we had a good soaking rain storm, nice for us who live in homes and want plants to grow, challenging for those camped on the river. It was so bad he began praying, he's tired, he's frustrated, he's at the end of his rope. 5 minutes later the rain stopped. God had heard him. The next day he had his sleeping bag over a branch to dry, was frustrated trying to sort out his own clothing as he has two pairs of pants and his life fits in his knapsack. He's an ex-marine and refused sugar and cream in the coffee he was sipping. He showed me his fingernails, he doesn't like to look like a hobo, he tries to be presentable. As he was sorting through the mess and mud he saw some people approaching. When the came close enough he said "Welcome to camp!" and introduced himself to these strangers. After talking for awhile the wife decided he needed to come home with them and have a chance to get cleaned up (hot shower and wash and dry his clothes) and have some pork chops for dinner. During the evening the husband asked if he would be willing to assist him in making some flutes for an upcoming show. That's why they'd been walking the woods, looking for some interesting branches. The past few days he's been sleeping on their porch, getting paid a nominal fee per piece work, eating scrumptious meals, discussing and listening well to what plants the wife still needs for her garden and looking to take on more tasks for this flute maker that sounds amazing. Finally Gabe and I introduced ourselves to each other, I'm so blessed to hear his story! Yesterday while at the farmer's market a vendor was having difficulty in the wind and rain getting his awning up, Gabe stepped in to help out and the man asked if he'd like any plants in return for his help. The flute maker's wife was delighted at Gabe's remembering what plants she needed. Last night during the howling wind the wife brought out a blanket to cover Gabe as he slept on the porch. Powerful. It was good to give each other a hug. God is amazing.

There were more children today in line. Even an infant just days old. I was sad to see we still had a pan and a half of cherry cheesecake squares left, seems they didn't go over well. I had a chance to talk with Patricia as she enjoyed her meal, admired the blanket someone gave her so she can cover her legs during the summer and not get sunburned, talked of her maybe moving to Illinois to be with her son and live in a wheelchair accessible home. As she bit into one of the cherry squares she commented how good they were…ah, someone did like them! I was able to snag a few more for her, as suddenly we only had half a pan left. Lemonade emptied, coffee emptied, hodgepodge salads verses the plates piled high with everything continued to be served. Another friend, Tom, who camps on the river asked if we'd like a baby goose. Seems the injured companion goose he's cared for during the winter wasn't a male after all! My Dave collected our things and we drove away from the corner at 1:30.

That was our hour and a half.

So Laney family, thank you, God Bless you and I look forward to seeing you soon!
Kristie

**********
Peace and have a great and blessed week.

It matters to that one...

See ya soon Dad...I love you more than you'll ever know and I'll miss you. War Eagle!!!

No comments: